Adopting

ssommer

Hello!

I am looking to adopt my first doxie, I live in NW Ohio and have been searching for a breeder. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on what to look for when searching or if there is a review website out there that I haven't found.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Oh gosh, Sara! What a bunch of CUTIES.
I'm thinking you should get 2. lol
I hope that's not aimed at me... I have 2! (and another bigger dog, and a cat, and 2 dogs at my Moms....)

But yes, the OP should get two!!! There's a whole bunch of very cute pups!!!

Penny

I hope that's not aimed at me... I have 2! (and another bigger dog, and a cat, and 2 dogs at my Moms....)
Of course not. You're in Alberta. lol
Yes, the OP should get 2. Mind you, I prefer to get one, train, then get a 2nd. Then a 3rd. lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Of course not. You're in Alberta. lol
Yes, the OP should get 2. Mind you, I prefer to get one, train, then get a 2nd. Then a 3rd. lol
Of course I am... Bit Mouse and Boo both came from WA state (Spokane and Seattle respectively) and Oliver came from Houston, TX... so it's not unheard of... :D

ssommer

@crystal-- I was not able to find you, do you have a website? I found a breeder in NC?

I am actually looking to go to a breeder for my first dog, thanks for the help though!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
@crystal-- I was not able to find you, do you have a website? I found a breeder in NC?

I am actually looking to go to a breeder for my first dog, thanks for the help though!
Why? You can adopt a baby puppy just the same from a rescue or shelter... unless you're willing to spend a bundle finding a breeder that health tests, (NOT just "vet checked" health tests are done on the parents and are very extensive in our breed) registers and titles their dogs in something... anything less is a backyard breeder, or a puppy mill, and both are no good, you risk health issues and temperament issues.

I'm not against buying a puppy from a quality breeder, But byb's and puppy mills I am against! They're the reason so many dogs end up in shelters every year, and they're the reason so many die every year. (5 million dogs and cats in the USA are euth'd in shelters every year)

The saying "why buy when shelter dogs die" does apply to anyone who buys from byb's and puppy mills. In my opinion proper breeders affect the shelter populations.

crystalclear1027

[email protected], it is wennie hill kennel in north carolina. It is not my website, the girl I spoke with, her name is Michelle, she was an excellent help. Everything fell into place with no problems. Google it and you can see all the dogs and pups if you like.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
What proof can you share with us?
Easy Look at their website... on their home page they list breeds with upcoming litters, and 7 breeds total. this is not a quality breeder. Good breeders focus on one breed (sometimes 2) and never have more than one litter on the ground at one time (as a properly reared litter takes a ton of time and energy) Nope, this is a puppy mill, pure and simple. they might have decent surroundings, but there is no mention of appropriate health tests, and they don't even tell you who are the parents or anything about the pairing, and they'll ship their puppies...

BIG, HUGE red flag.. PUPPY MILL!!!

amparra

1. its a completely commercial operation that offers at least SEVEN different breeds. No reputable breeder would EVER do this.

Breeding multiple breeds is a HUGE red flag for any breeder. Heck, even the BYBs (which I still would not get a dog from) usually stick to just one breed.

2. There is no reference to any clearances done on any of the parents. Responsible breeders always health test for genetic and hereditary conditions that can be passed on the the offspring. By clearances I do not mean "vet checks" or "clean bill of health" on the parents, or puppies for that matter. I am referring to OFA certified patellas and hips, CERF results for eyes, etc

Dachshunds are a relatively hardy little breed but they are susceptible to some serious diseases. Best to stack the odds in my favor by doing business with a breeder that knows the genes behind their lines.

3. No reference to any titles on any dog, no reference to participation in any breed club, and no reference to participation in any performance events. BYBs don't bother with this stuff and puppy mills certainly don't

4. CKC registered dogs. Unless they are talking about the Canadian Kennel Club (which I doubt since they are in North Carolina) the CONTINENTAL Kennel Club is a bogus registry used by puppy mills and BYBs. Basically anyone can go on there and register a dog.

While AKC is considered the reputable registry in the U.S., keep in mind that its just a registry. Just because a dog is AKC registered does not mean that the dog came from a reputable breeder. Many BYB dogs and puppy mills are AKC registered because the parents are AKC registered, thats all the AKC keeps track of.

5. Multiple litters on the ground. Lots of dogs that they couldn't sell from months ago being advertised as "available for adoption."

Thats a little offensive to the folks that are into rescue. In fact rescue dogs come from these exact situations (BYBs and Puppy Mills), they are the reasons that shelters are overcrowded and dogs get euthanized. A reputable breeder is responsible for their pups for life. They will step in and take the dog back if the owner is unable to care for it. This is typically a clause in their contracts. A BYB/puppy mill on the other hand, will dump the puppies at shelters. They don't keep track of their dogs and when their buyers rehome the dog or drop it off at the shelter because they are too busy/allergic or whatever excuse they come up with, a byb/puppy mill will not go back and get that dog.

So although a rescue and a puppy mill dog might have the same origins, the key difference is that when you adopt a rescue dog you did not support unethical and disreputable breeding practices, you did not enable a puppy mill to continue breeding the same dogs over and over and over again in unsanitary conditions, and you did not add to the pet overpopulation problem.