6 month old is backsliding related to house training?

Daryl

Our pup was doing really well, ringing the bell hung at the back door when she wanted out. She was doing this at 4 1/2 to 6 months old but just within the last week or two she’s been peeing or pooping in the house. She has not even bothered to ring the bell. Is there a time they go through when they back slide? I know they are a stubborn lot. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chariya

I have a 8 month old that was doing well then one day she walked over by the door and peed without sitting there to let me know she needed to go, she was about 6 months old. Then another time she walked under my legs when I was sitting on the couch and pooped right after going out to pee that was last month. She is back on track again after she got in trouble. Did your pup go to the door and sit there waiting to go out without ringing the bell? Dachshunds are very hard headed and will test you sometimes especially when they're puppies. Keep up with the training and your pup should be fine.

Popper

They are a stubborn lot for sure. Ours was doing really good and then at 6 1/2 months she decided to poop in the bedroom. She did that two times in a row and on the second one I blasted a little air horn near her and then I carried her outside and told her to pee and she has never done it again.

I'm appalled that you traumatized her like that!! Shame on you! I doubt she will ever want to toilet in front of you again so you can't reward her for getting it right. Look at what YOU have done to cause this change. Did you stop going outside with her? Stop rewarding her? was it raining (dachshunds hate rain and really feel the cold) They aren't like humans that suddenly "test us" with stubbornness, good grief, at 6 mths they are having a massive surge of hormones, especially the girls.. if you love your dogs give them a break and look at what YOU can do to help them stay on track. And FYI, speaking as a vet nurse, dogs AND cats will toilet in the house to tell you they are sick, anxious or not feeling right .... NOT because they are stubborn!!!