17 lb "Mini"

doxi_dadddy

My new little girl isn't so little. At 8 weeks, when she came home, she was 3.4 lbs. At 8 months, she is 17 lbs. She was sold to me as a mini. The breeder said that the parents were 10 and 11 lbs. My questions is, is it even possible for miniatures to produce a standard?

Penny

Yes, that happens. The standards were bred down to the mini size and sometimes pups get bigger than their parents. I guess it's the roll of the dice.

Would you like to post some pics? I would love some puppy sweetness!

CaseyKC

My Libby, had parents that were 10 and 11 pounds. Her weight fluctuates between 13 and 14 lbs. Her vet feels this is the ideal weight for her body structure. While she can't be considered a mini, or a standard, I believe that dachshunds in between 10 lbs and 17lbs are considered to be "tweenies." As long as she is within healthy weight limits, I am not concerned. We never had any intentions of showing or breeding her anyway. She turned 10yo last month and is a happy healthy girl who brings us joy beyond measure.

My new little girl isn't so little. At 8 weeks, when she came home, she was 3.4 lbs. At 8 months, she is 17 lbs. She was sold to me as a mini. The breeder said that the parents were 10 and 11 lbs. My questions is, is it even possible for miniatures to produce a standard?
I think it could be a throw back. One of my boys, his parents were mini's and he's up to 20 pounds. He's not fat at all, just muscle and built like a mack truck. I can look down and see a slim waistline. He's just a big boy.