New To Forum!

aliana093

I wanted to know something from you guys. My lovely dachshund love to eat the eggs, and
I offer them eggs in moderation. But now I also bring a pomchi and he also looks to me
with begging eyes for eggs. Let me know can I offer eggs to pomchis? I also read a lot about
pomchi eggs eating on internet. I need some serious suggestions. Thanks!

Chariya

You could just follow the advice you find on the internet about feeding dogs eggs. I don't know anything about Pomchis and actually never heard of them, I had to research that dog too. I don't feed my Dachshunds eggs very often and if I do it's a very small piece of egg white.

RNickelson

I just joined the forum, September 6 we adopted an approximately 1 year old Longhair Dachshund Male, he was a breeder surrender. He has been a challenge to say the least, he is very skittish, shies away if you try to pet him, loud noises scares him. He is very smart and he has bonded with me, gets up and follows me around each time I get up from my recliner, comes to the kitchen to see what is going on, knows treats are in the pantry but wants to run from us if we try to pet him And will not take a treat from my hand. The first couple days he refused to potty outside but I was able to get him to overcome that pretty easily but he will still go inside the house. The biggest challenge is getting him to be more trusting and potty training, I’m hoping to get some tips from this forum.

Chariya

It's going to take some time for him to trust you, he's new in your home be patient. I have a 4 month old female Dachshund puppy and I would take her out every 30 minutes to do her business, she's doing really well. I bought her the Puppy Apartment https://modernpuppies.com/pottytrainingpuppyapartment.aspx it works well for night time and you can train him to use it only or both inside and outside. I put fake grass in it with a puppy pad under the grass and she uses it at night.
Make sure you clean his urine thoroughly out of the carpet where he tinkles, or he will keep going on the carpet. Give him a treat whenever he pottys where you want him to. Dachshunds are hardheaded and can be difficult to potty train but just keep up with a routine with him. I've also had 2 retired female breeder Dachshunds I had to potty train and in my opinion they were more difficult to potty train than a puppy, I used the same routine with them except I used a dog crate at night and they eventually learned to go outside. They were a little skittish because of a new environment but came around. After he settles down a little take him to Petco or Petsmart or some other locations where he can be exposed to other noises as well.
Lastly if your dog was abused before you got him it's going to take quite a while for him to trust you when reaching out to pet him and training will be even more difficult.

Last edited:

RNickelson

It's going to take some time for him to trust you, he's new in your home be patient. I have a 4 month old female Dachshund puppy and I would take her out every 30 minutes to do her business, she's doing really well. I bought her the Puppy Apartment https://modernpuppies.com/pottytrainingpuppyapartment.aspx it works well for night time and you can train him to use it only or both inside and outside. I put fake grass in it with a puppy pad under the grass and she uses it at night. She likes going outside more.
Make sure you clean his urine thoroughly out of the carpet where he tinkles, or he will keep going on the carpet. Give him a treat whenever he pottys where you want him to. Dachshunds are hardheaded and can be difficult to potty train but just keep up with a routine with him. I've also had 2 retired female breeder Dachshunds I had to potty train and same routine with them except I used a dog crate at night with them and they eventually learned to go outside. They were a little skittish because of a new environment but came around. After he settles down a little take him to Petco or Petsmart or some other locations where he can be exposed to other noises as well.
Rusty is my 6th Dachshund since 1977, I was licky with the others, they were all easy to potty train. We bought a puppy play pen and that has become his ”safe haven”, he loves it, he gets excited when I carry it back to the bedroom so we can go to bed. We take him out every two hours and the messing on the floor has lessened, and he looks at me for his treat after being a “good boy”, it’s just going to take time. He’s 100% changed over the scared pup we brought home., We took him to some friends house and let him play with their Westy and he had a ball. He had bonded with me more than my Wife, if I get up to go to the kitchen or back of the house he gets out of his bed and follows me. He’s smart and I think he will be a great dog.

Chariya

They are fun little dogs, I'm hooked. I started with one then got her a 2 year old retired breeder Dachshund, they loved playing together. After 1 passed from old age I would get another after a period of time. I always had 2. We got a new puppy for the dog in the picture after her Dachshund friend passed away which was another retired breeder dog. I'm glad things are getting better with your pup.

RNickelson

They are fun little dogs, I'm hooked. I started with one then got her a 2 year old retired breeder Dachshund, they loved playing together. After 1 passed from old age I would get another after a period of time. I always had 2. We got a new puppy for the dog in the picture after her Dachshund friend passed away which was another retired breeder dog. I'm glad things are getting better with your pup.
We had a 13 year old female longhair named Rosie, we lost her in April to an enlarged heart, at our age we said no more dogs but didn’t take long to miss having a Doxie. He had planned on adopting an older Dachshund but Rusty showed up on a Rescue site and we fell in love, my wife went online and fulled out an application, we thought we didn’t have a chance but we got him.

Attachments