Puppy who doesn’t like walks!

ArnieF

Hello. New member here so first post. I have a gorgeous 14 week old miniature dachshund who doesn’t like going for a walk. He has energy to burn, we play with him plenty but he is much Moreno settled after a 10 minute walk. Anyway he doesn’t like leaving the house and certainly not the front drive. I have tried treats, lots of positive encouragement and have tried feeding him one of his meals out in our cul de sac every day but he still doesn’t want to go. I would appreciate any help from those who have had similar problems. I know this is a confidence issue whilst he is so young but would love to hear any success stories with similar issues. Many thanks.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Our Doxie Molly would not walk. When we added our second pup Sam she started walking because he loves his walks. Maybe she need to walk with another pup...

ArnieF

Our Doxie Molly would not walk. When we added our second pup Sam she started walking because he loves his walks. Maybe she need to walk with another pup...
Thanks. Unfortunately a second pup is out of the question and we don’t have any other dogs nearby and available at the times we are. He loves other dogs so I agree that would be ideal but just not an easy option right now.

CaseyKC

Is it cold where you live? Maybe he doesn't like the cold. If so, try getting him a sweater or fleece. Do you have neighbors near you that wouldn't mind if you put a piece of cheese, or, whatever his favorite treat is, in front of their homes near the curb, before you begin your walk. After pre-positioning little treats, go home and take him for a walk. Let him find the treats and maybe the dreaded walk will turn into a wonderful treasure hunt. If you have a long driveway, you could start with a few positioned treats there. When he finds them and gets used to walking in the driveway, then put treats in front of neighbors homes. You could also enlist a neighbor to come out when you walk and shower attention on him so he would come to believe that the world beyond his comfort zone is not scary and walks are full of fun new adventures.

CaseyKC

Is it cold where you live? Maybe he doesn't like the cold. If so, try getting him a sweater or fleece. Do you have neighbors near you that wouldn't mind if you put a piece of cheese, or, whatever his favorite treat is, in front of their homes near the curb, before you begin your walk. After pre-positioning little treats, go home and take him for a walk. Let him find the treats and maybe the dreaded walk will turn into a wonderful treasure hunt. If you have a long driveway, you could start with a few positioned treats there. When he finds them and gets used to walking in the driveway, then put treats in front of neighbors homes. You could also enlist a neighbor to come out when you walk and shower attention on him so he would come to believe that the world beyond his comfort zone is not scary and walks are full of fun new adventures.
Another thought. Do you have a friend or neighbor with a dog? You could both take your dogs for a walk together. Good socialization opportunity.