Confusion about Dandruff and Hair loss

Cassidys_Momma

I have a 16 week old puppy that I got a 12 weeks. She had a rough and uncertain past when I first got her. She was almost dead D: literally.... The vet couldn't figure out how she was still alive. Well after spending a few weeks on 4 types of meds 3 times a day and lots of affection and good food she is doing fantastic... But we have 2 issues..... Dandruff and some hair loss!!! :confused:

I have no idea where to go from here. She didnt have any dandruff when I first got her (well none that I could see at the moment but I was more worried about her health at that time). Now she has it horribly. Shes a little itchy from it and flea nips herself. I am feeding her Solid Gold (pee wee bites) and bath her in a Sweet Pea hypoallergenic shampoo yet she still has it.

The other issue that I am noticing is she has some hair loss starting by the front of her left ear and some around the base of her tail. Not sure how or why this is starting to happen. Around the base of her tail and some spots on her sides and back she has small bumps. Almost like acne bumps with flakes on top of it.

Does anyone know what could be causing all this? I feel horrible that I cannot give her relieve from it at the moment.

Steph

I would take her back to your vet and have them have a good look at her, possibly even do a skin scrape because it sounds like she could have Demodectic Mange. It's a genetic disorder that affects the immune system. It is not contagious to humans or other pets - that one is called sarcoptic mange.

You could also try an oatmeal based shampoo, they are easier on the skin and very soothing. I used to use oatmeal shampoo on my Dobermann that had alopecia. It helped her skin and hair out greatly.

Good luck!

Us too!!

Hi Cassidys momma,

We have the exactly same problem with our little boy, got him at 8 weeks and he's now 3 months old. His skin condition also suddenly changed 2 weeks ago. He's on high quality food and gets fresh veg occasionally. He has 2 little zit-like bumps on his crown and very patchy hair loss all over his body and if that wasn't enough its coupled with dandruff! Poor pups..... We have been to our vet and he's told us to watch it and if it gets worse then we should do a skin scrape. Please let us know how you get on and if Cassidys got any better? Hope she does get better soon! :)

DonRamon

Ninja
Hi Cassidys momma,

We have the exactly same problem with our little boy, got him at 8 weeks and he's now 3 months old. His skin condition also suddenly changed 2 weeks ago. He's on high quality food and gets fresh veg occasionally. He has 2 little zit-like bumps on his crown and very patchy hair loss all over his body and if that wasn't enough its coupled with dandruff! Poor pups..... We have been to our vet and he's told us to watch it and if it gets worse then we should do a skin scrape. Please let us know how you get on and if Cassidys got any better? Hope she does get better soon! :)
When my pup had that, the vet gave us antibiotics, and said it was bacteria that got onto the skin. After 1 week of antibiotics it was all gone.