New here, just got a 9 week old dachshund

Teri

Hi everyone!
I'm new here, here's a little about myself
I have a husband and an 11 yr old girl and a 5 year old boy. I also have a 16 year old step daughter who lives with her mom and visits. We have a mini-D who passed away 2 years ago. The same weekend she died my friends dog had an unplanned litter of puppies (her pug met up with the neighbors maltese) we didn't want to get anther dog so soon but I really missed having a little friend follow me around and always be there ready to love and be loved. so when the puppies were 8 weeks old I went to pick one out, a little black girl kept coming up to me and now she is part of our family. She is our baby.
This past Friday I get home and my husband is sitting there with this itty-bitty little weiner dog!! I had mixed feelings, instant love and instant feeling of "uh-oh, Bells won't like this" and "this poor little guy is going to freeze in the coming weather" followed by "this month is going to be really tight financially, and now we're going to have a vet bill"
My husband is the only one currently working.
Waylan and Bella met, so far so good. Both curious. About 30 min after meeting this little joy I noticed he was awfully itchy and had a few bald/ing spots. I checked, no fleas
Now I'm worried he may have mange. Since it was Friday after Thanksgiving our vet was out until today. We have an apt tomorrow at 330.
The dog was given to us from my step daughter and her mother who said they got him from a rescue. When we asked for the organizations name we were told "she's a private rescue" I got her name but I can't find any info. He came with a phot copied paper with 2 shots hand written in, not from a vet. No actual proof that he was given these shots. We don't have any family history and now we're Praying he won't be sick or get Bella sick, or spread mange. We were also told he was given a bath Friday morning before they met up to get the dog, met in a parking lot. That changed to he got a flea bath, then said a flea dip. Hes so young and tiny I don't understand why she would give him that if he had no fleas. (We were told it was prevention) so maybe the itching was dry skin, but the bald spots? maybe the flea dip burned his skin. I don't know. I hate that I don't know.
I had my vet tech cousin come clip his nails Saturday because they were curled in and catching on everything. She checked his skin and also said maybe mange. they will do a skin scrape at his visit.
Since I know nothing more then the brand of food he was getting I have some questions.
We were told he eats Purina one smart blend.
So that's what we bought. He eats good, doesn't get upset when my son went near him while eating, but growled at bella when she walked by. He devours his food. currently I give him 1/2 of a 1/4cup each time I feed him
Should I wet the food? he drinks good, his eyes are bright, he goes to the bathroom good. definitely needs to be potty trained so I take him out often and he's got the hang of it.
What chew toys are food for his size? my 1st dachshund was a rescue and was older, never had her as a puppy.
Well that's enough in this post. I love him so much, we all do. He gets along great with the kids. we just have suspicions about where he came from. We're looking into it still.

Emma's Mom

I am sure by now you have had your vet check him and got your questions answered. I would wet his food for now. He is too young for any flea dip treatment. I understand your concerns about him. Hope all is well with his health and you are bonding with the little guy!